As it is coming up to the season of good will I thought some of you might want some tips on the dos and don’ts of alcohol drinking and how to avoid a hangover …. and for those that don’t pay attention, tips on how to help with that hangover. So here we go.
1. Alcohol is a diuretic, which means you lose far more liquid in your urine than the amount you are actually drinking, which is why you go to the toilet a lot when you drink. This causes you to dehydrate. Dehydration is a large cause of a hangover. The secret to avoid the hangover is to drink WATER in between your alcohol drinks… this won’t make you more drunk or less drunk, it does not interfere with the alcohol in your body,it just helps stops the dehydration.
2. When you get home after your night out drinking alcohol, drink a glass of milk, this will act as an anti-diuretic which means it stops the kidneys producing urine and can help the body retain its liquid helping to keep you hydrated.
3. The reason many wake up in the morning with a banging headache after drinking too much alcohol is because of dehydration. Dehydration causes the brain to shrink away from the skull slightly, which triggers pain sensors on the outside surface of the brain. Don’t worry though it does return back to the skull again in the normal way once the alcohol is through the system and dehydration is back to its right levels. But the best way to avoid that headache is as I have already mentioned is to drink water in between your alcohol drinks.
4. Be aware, alcohol contains huge numbers of empty calories that the body converts to fat. There has been recently, a large campaign about how fattening alcohol is, comparing a small glass of wine to a doughnut!
5. Often we crave fatty foods after drinking alcohol because blood sugar can fall making our bodies believe they need to fill up again on calories. This is a false feeling, fooling our bodies into thinking we are hungry.
6. To help fight the symptoms of a hangover and to neutralise the acidity in your body from a heavy night of drinking alcohol, on waking up in the morning try a teaspoon (don’t overdo it, stick to just a teaspoon) of Bicarbonate of Soda in water (you can add a little bit of honey to improve the taste).
That’s about it for now, instalment number 2 will be coming shortly.